Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 ZZ4 engine that I will be putting in a camero and I need to know where the temperature sensor goes and how it is wired to a gauge instead of a warning light. The camero I will be putting it into is only a body and nothing else, I will have to wire and replace a lot of other parts.

Thanks for any help anyone can give.

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
On my ZZ4 I installed it on the head between the # 1 & 3 cyl. I "m running electic fans so I installed the fan temp sensor on the other head between # 6 & 8. Works great. Not sure what kind of gauge you are using but the temp sensor signal wire will be a single wire coming off it.

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
Roy, what kind of gauge are you using? Any pic of the sensor?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm using a Wells 1996 camero temp sensor and the gauge is out of a 1970 chevy truck. The sensor has two wires coming out of it.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
I don't know of any gauge sensor that is 2-wire. Most of the 2-wire sensors I'm familiar with are for the ECM. Gauge sensors are 1-wire and ground through the block. But then again, that doesn't mean I've seen it all.

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
I tried looking up the TV152 and it looks like it does go to the ECM. Don't think what you have is compatable.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If I use the sensor off of the truck it is a bigger diameter than the port onthe side of the motor and the only port that will take it is up on the manifold where the radiater hose comes out of the block. Will it be ok to mount the sensor here, I want to be sure I get a good reading.

Thanks alot for the input.

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
I had this setup on my ZZ3 engine for awhile. Notice the larger temp sensor on the thermostat housing. I picked it up at Napa and just painted the housing with aluminum paint. Worked good.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do you know part number for the sensor that you used on your ZZ3? I have tried to go to napa and ask for a sensor but they want year to look under for thesensor. What I need is any 1 wire sensor. I tried jegs and they said there sensors all had 2 wires to hook to the engine computer system but I have no computer system, so I need a i wire sensor. Man I never knew it would be so much trouble trying to find a simple 1 wire sensor.

I really appreciate you input,thanks

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
The problem your going to run into is getting the right temp readout for your particular gauge. My sensor was correct for a 69 with console gauges (p/n TU12) $9.95 from Classic Industires. You need to make sure the sensor is matched to the gauge your going to use. The one I have in my ZZ4 is an autometer gauge that comes with the sending unit. This is the one that will go into the head. If your going to use the 70 truck gauge, you will probably need to re-use that sender that was in the old engine. I would go with an autometer gauge. You can get them almost anywhere and they have the correct sender too. Here is the my ZZ4 with temp sensor between cyl 1 & 3 and this is the gauge for it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dennis I think that you have solved the Temp sensor problem for me -Thanks- One more question for you on the ZZ4 distributor , your picture looks like mine, which plug wire is for number one cylinder.
I think I will mount my temp sensor in front of the motor where the radiator hook-up comes out of the motor, using one of the plugs there.
Thanks again for your help.

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
Looking at the picture above, it is the one closest to the carb on the right. Best thing to do is rotate engine till balancer mark is on TDC or 10 deg before TDC and pull cap off and see where your rotor is pointing. If it's pointing to the back of the dist, rotate it one more time and that will be where number one wire should be.
No problem with the help. This site has helped me plenty times and probably plenty more times. One thing I do have is alot of pics during 3 69 rebuilds, so if you need anything, just give a yell.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts