Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just want to say how happy i am with TC before i ask another question.Best tool in my box!I'm on TC every day,and learn something new every day.
I just finished "breaking in" my GMPP zz427
It has what sounds to me like a lifter tic..very slight..nothing serious.
From what i understand It has a hydraulic roller cam with roller rockers
Is it possible just to remove the valve covers and give each rocker a 1/4 turn instead of the #1 and #6 lobe base adjustment procedure?Or am i asking for trouble?

·
Premium Member
11,167 Posts
Yes, its possible but if you try to isolate the tic, maybe you can just go to the one that's giving you trouble?

If you have access to an engine stethoscope , see if you can isolate the area.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Definitley the tic is on the right bank....i suppose that would make more sense rather than take off both sides.
Thanks zdid

·
Premium Member
11,167 Posts
Good deal, you could pull that cover and look for anything unusual , you might even roll each valve set over , one up/one down and see if you find the loose one. Motor needs to be warm or just shut off. If you find it, tighten it up 1/8 turn first, then re-run to see if its there.
Being a roller cam, I would rule out burned cam lobe.
I am thinking its just loose. You did not say how old the set up was.

Could also be an exhaust leak? Header gasket?

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
I have lifter noise in my zz427. It appears to be coming from cylinders #2 and 4 area. I tried the adjustment by tick would return.

I went to chevy house and my warranty was denied because I had taken the engine out of one of my cars, so I could sell it and put the engine in another.
That ended my warranty with GMPP.
I received a bill for $120 to look at engine. The bill did address noise in lifters but that the warranty request was denied. I also came home with a different valve cover fastener on the back bottom. I now have 6 allen head fasteners and 1 7/16 bolt. Good wrench my ***.

What oil are you using?

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I broke it in with 5w30 conventional....am running 10w40 conventional now...i have not tried to adjust the rockers yet,been really busy.
Sorry to hear GMPP is not standing behind their product,even if they gave you a new cam and lifters and you install yourself,it would be in thier best interest.
I realized when i put my headers on,i had to trim the base of the gaskets to clear the head bolts..in spring i am going to replace the gaskets and see if the tic was a header leak.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts