Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there,
I have a question for the experts of you.
I have a 69 Camaro SS RS. Currently with a 427cui from 1970 and a tremec 5 speed. The engine is not reliable anymore. The water pump just died.
Now I want to put a new crate engine in, keep the 5speed and have a reliable, streetable cruise car with power and great sound. Engine should be already assambled since I am not an expert and will ask a workshop to do it.
Currently I am between the GM zz427 and the zz502. I saw that both are around 9,000 USD. That's the amount I am willing to spend on the engine.
What do you recommend for my purposes?
No race, reliable!, lot of power, good sound.

Thanks for your recommendations.
Volkmar

·
14,099 Posts
Rebuild the 427 you already have

·
Registered
406 Posts
:DZZ502, but then again, I am biased...

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
Money to burn - donations accepted here :)

Rebuild the original IMHO.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
If you don't need the extra 70 hp, rebuild the 427. :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
man $9K in a 427 that you already have would make a nasty nasty motor, on the other hand my vette would like a 427 that runs pump gas, this $5.99 a gallon stuff sucks!

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
I'm old school and the 427 are the numbers I would use. I hear crate motors are assembled by people who don't know what their doing. I.E. Either read it on this Forum or the Nasty Forum, but all the piston ring gaps were installed facing the same direction. A Monkey could be trained to do a better job.

Monkey:
"Yes Sir, I had my best Monkey on it and your engine is ready for pickup with no recalls like at GM". That's correct Sir. See you in a bit."

Customer:
"Thank you. It's great doing business with someone who knows his sh!t and doesn't use China for parts and labor."

·
Banned
1,354 Posts
Let me be the first to offer to buy your 427. I will pay you $150 for your engine. That is the cost of a new water pump and a shop manual.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Post where you live and somebody can find you a motor guy. What would you do with the old motor? A complete stroker rotating assembly is under 3k. New heads will make more power on pump gas.
What heads intake and carb are on the 427, so that we can start to decide witch way to go. What rear gear?

·
Registered
97 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
man $9K in a 427 that you already have would make a nasty nasty motor, on the other hand my vette would like a 427 that runs pump gas, this $5.99 a gallon stuff sucks!
Try $7.65 a gallon for pump gas where I am! :( :mad:

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Hello there,
I have a question for the experts of you.
I have a 69 Camaro SS RS. Currently with a 427cui from 1970 and a tremec 5 speed. The engine is not reliable anymore. The water pump just died.
Now I want to put a new crate engine in, keep the 5speed and have a reliable, streetable cruise car with power and great sound. Engine should be already assambled since I am not an expert and will ask a workshop to do it.
Currently I am between the GM zz427 and the zz502. I saw that both are around 9,000 USD. That's the amount I am willing to spend on the engine.
What do you recommend for my purposes?
No race, reliable!, lot of power, good sound.

Thanks for your recommendations.
Volkmar
Unless they have made major changes lately, I would avoid the ZZ502.

I installed 2 of them for customer Camaros.

They both burned oil at an alarming rate.

The oil pump failed in one of them. (200 miles) The dealer replaced the motor under warranty. The replacement used over a quart of oil every 500 miles. The customer took it home to Seattle and thankfully I never saw it again.

The other ZZ502 had been sitting in it's crate for a year before I installed it. It burned oil in a big way. Even though it was only driven about 1000 miles, they wouldn't warranty it because it was out on time. No problem, I understood. After all, what is $9,000.00 anyway? :mad: The joke was on me.

I tore it down and couldn't believe the cylinder bores....what ever machine that did the hone was trashed......complete junk.

No aftermarket rings could be found to use on the ZZ pistons because they use a very narrow oil ring. I had to buy rings from GM for $50 per piston. :sad:

After using a torque plate for the hone, a complete rebuild and valve job, the engine was finally ok.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all the very interesting information. :hurray:

It seems that the zz502 is not a good option (see last post). But of course that let's me wonder if the problem is any better with the zz427....why should it be?

That means there are two possibilities? Either buy a different crate engine. Any recommendations?
Or rebuild my engine.
Does anybody knows an engine rebuilder in the Miami area?

Thanks for you help !!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts