Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Build Projects follow along start to finish

Old Nov 26th, 08, 10:00 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Todd

Default '69 Coupe Ground-Up / Rotisserie Resto " Now's the Time! "

Since joining Camaros.net I have learned many things, seen many incredible resto stories, and met some great people. Love the site!

When I first bought my '69 Coupe back in Aug. 1996, I never thought I arrive at this point. I began dismantling it the day I drove it home. It only took me 3 days to get down to the shell, but I loved every minute of it. After that, due to my busy job-schedule, it sat, and sat, and sat...UNTIL THIS YEAR!!!

Like some other incredibly talented and brave Team members, I would like to document my resto all in one thread as well. Until now, I have only ever posted individual stages or questions along the way--so for those of you who already have seen some of this info/pics--I apologize if I am boring you. Now, I'm starting the single thread docomenting it all. Start to finish! Ask away, enjoy, learn with me, and push me to the end of this long and winding road ahead. I have a great start already thanks to Team Camaro--thank you! *SO BE SURE TO SUBSCRIBE TO THIS THREAD SO YOU CAN GET UPDATES AND INFO AS I SHARE IT ALL ON HERE. Without further adieu...

Since my Camaro is originally from Connecticut, it has endured some harsh weather, salt, and worst of all, a vinyl top. However, I do intend to keep it original since it will always ever be stored indoors from now on.

Here are some original photos of when I first got it in Aug. '96. It was running and driving (smoking too!) and was a nice from far, but far from nice --car:

*See my 1992 Z28 350 in the background?

*Here is it after accumulating some parts, and um....many other "things". LOL!!!

*and many of you will remember this one....LOL!

*and finally, here it sits--waiting for my attention... as of this evening 11-26-2008. (it took me all day to dig it out--LOL!)

Helpful build pics+tips from my restoration:
http://s299.photobucket.com/albums/m...ro%20%20SS350/
My build thread:
http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=146455

Last edited by 6781camaro; Nov 26th, 08 at 10:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 26th, 08, 10:31 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Todd

Default Re: '69 Coupe Ground-Up / Rotisserie Resto " Now's the Time! "

After tearing it down to the bone, I asking other members their opinions, I realized that since I want it a certain way when I am done, and it's a keeper, full panel replacement over cutting and patching is the way to go for me. Since it is originally a northern car, I agree. Luckily, it was never hit in an accident over it's entire life though! Bone straight! I started buying some of the sheet metal over the past 9 years--whenever I had the "slush-fund" primed and ready--LOL!. Just recently, I learned, after a horrible experience with a metal supplier on ebay, that buying all your sheetmetal from one person, all at one time, not only saves you money, but countless headaches as well. I just recently met Belair Bob, and wish I met him sooner! His professionalism, outstanding customer service and willingness to help is second to none! Thanks Bob! I just placed an order for the last few pieces I need to complete my resto. which will arrive Dec 4th. Can't wait! (one-piece floor pan, inner rockers with braces, seat mount floor units, tulip boxes for cowl, etc...

Here is the list of sheet metal panels I bought to replace all the cancerous areas : get ready.....
  1. Full rear quarters
  2. full trunk pan w.braces
  3. spare tire hold down bracket (GM NOS)
  4. inner tail panel
  5. outer tail panel (GM NOS)
  6. trunk drop-offs
  7. trunk weatherstrip gutter kit
  8. gas tank mounting straps
  9. under trunk support braces (GM NOS)
  10. inner wheel wells
  11. outer wheel wells (GM NOS)
  12. inner rear quarter panel walls
  13. rear filler panel
  14. fold-down seat hinge brackets
  15. One-piece floor pan
  16. front toe boards (L+R)
  17. inner rocker panels w/braces
  18. outer rocker panels
  19. Upper dash panel (GM NOS)
  20. radiator core support (GM NOS)
  21. All 4 door hinges (GM NOS)
and if I forgot something... sorry! This list grew bigger and bigger as I ripped this car apart. Surprisingly enough, the doors, fenders, trunk lid, hood, roof, dash assembly, firewall, rear floorpan (under the rear seat) and rear package tray were all untouched by the weather and virtually rust-free. They are all original GM's too!

Over the summer, I taught myself how to weld *with the valuable help and assistance from many Team Camaro members...thanks
I decided to buy a Lincoln HD3200 for what I need. I set it up with CO2/Argon based on the many recommendations I got here. Glad I did.

I made a custom cart for it out of a utility cart I picked up from Harbor Freight Tools. Luckily I have two locations right near me. (or maybe not lucky!--expensive hobby here!) Anyway, I cut out a whole a little larger than the diameter of the gas tank so I can slide it through and it sits on the bottom shelf--nice and secure. I lined the two holes in the upper two shelves with old heater hoses so it would absorb any vibrations and keep the tank stable/tight. Take a look:

* I ALSO PICKED UP A LENCOSPOT L-4000 220V SPOTWELDER--Just couldn't pass up the deal! (local bodyshop was closing, and it was brand new--3-4 hours of use...)

My build thread:

Last edited by 6781camaro; Nov 27th, 08 at 05:10 AM.
Old Nov 27th, 08, 05:25 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Tim

Hey Todd, i bet we know what you're thankful for today! its good to see you get started and im glad i got in on the ground floor on this one before its 40+ pages like cheby2's lol. that is quite a laundry list of parts you got there but as long as you stay motivated im sure you will be driving that 69 around in no time. now get to work on that body cart! lol let me know if you need any more measurements off of mine and i know you were already planing on it but be sure to put in pleanty of gusset supports in the corner because with the floor and 1/4s off there is not much holding the shape of the car laterally. i would also secure the body itself at a few points to the cart. and keep in mind when i made mine i wasnt doing a floor so be sure to leave yourself pleanty of room under there to get the new floor and and so your comfortable while your grinding away allllllllllll those weldssss lol. be good man and ill talk to you soon im sure. -tim

'12 Chevy Cruze - Daily Driver
Old Nov 27th, 08, 05:27 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Tim

oh and btw im with you on the belair bob thing, he is the best! i got my metal from him and it got to me from GA to NY without a dent and for a great great price.anyone reading this thread who is starting their own project should definatly give him a call

Old Nov 27th, 08, 05:39 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Todd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim1968 View Post
oh and btw im with you on the belair bob thing, he is the best! i got my metal from him and it got to me from GA to NY without a dent and for a great great price.anyone reading this thread who is starting their own project should definatly give him a call

AMEN to that! I am so pleased that I told Bob that I would include his LOGO in all of my posts for advertisement purposes. (if that is acceptable in the thread?) GREAT GUY!

My build thread:
Old Nov 27th, 08, 02:44 PM
Senior Tech

Brian

Nice to see you have gotten started.

That car sure was covered up.

Where in FL are you?

Brian
Old Nov 27th, 08, 06:33 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Todd

Brian,

Thanks. I actually did start stripping it down in Aug. 96, but between busy schedules/jobs/life events, I am really just getting serious this month. At least I haven't sold it right? That is certainly one of the things I am thankful for today...

Truly INCREDIBLE work so far on your build--WOW! It has come a long way to say the least.

TWO QUICK QUESTIONS IF YOU DON'T MIND:

1) I am curious, since I will be there soon, did your one-piece floor pan install through from the front of the car and slide back into place? It looks like your body jig has enough clearance for that specifically-- am I correct? I am going to build a body cart out of 4x4's and 2x4's tomorrow. I also bought Six 5" swivel casters. Any tips I should know beforehand? I would like to be able to slide my new one-piece floor through the front somehow.

2) When I tried to remove the rear leaf spring front eye perches, two of the bolts just spin freely and they are tightened. I am assuming that the welded-in cage nuts have broken loose? They are inbetween the inner floorboard surface and the outer floor surface that is under the car. How do I repair those OR are they included in my new 1-piece floor that I just ordered? If so, I would like to cut access holes into the inner floor to expose the broken nuts so I can remove the leaf springs. The rear axle and springs are now the only things (besides the doors) to remove from the car) ---Thanks!

My build thread:

Last edited by 6781camaro; Nov 27th, 08 at 08:45 PM.
Old Nov 27th, 08, 09:50 PM
Senior Tech

Terry

Todd , those nuts on the front spring eye brackets are actually clips with a captured nut , that clip into a slot on the torque boxes , best thing to do is to grind or cut the head off the bolt from the bottom , then you can remove the spring .

Terry

Camaro : http://s17.photobucket.com/albums/b6...2/68%20Camaro/

Chevy II : http://s17.photobucket.com/albums/b62/sheby2

Too bad stupidity isn't painfull !
Old Nov 28th, 08, 03:18 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Todd

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheby2 View Post
Todd , those nuts on the front spring eye brackets are actually clips with a captured nut , that clip into a slot on the torque boxes , best thing to do is to grind or cut the head off the bolt from the bottom , then you can remove the spring .

Terry
Terry,

It is amazing that someone so young is keeping this hobby alive. Tim has shown some mad skills there! He's helping me to get going too. I'm only 35 myself, but have restored a dozen or so other cars---just not nearly to this extent!
You are like "Ol' Faithful" in Yellowstone Nat. Park. Thanks for the tip. I was about to cut a hole in the inner floor to see what was holding it in place. Your idea will let me save my rear under seat floor board sections as I planned, just in case I need them for a future resto. (what am I nuts? Doing this again! ----anytime! Gotta love it)
Wish me luck, I'm building my cart today. Before that though, I need to clear out the tools, hoist, welder, roto, etc,., so I can get to my car first, then remove the rear axle and springs. whew.... work work work!...
Thanks again! Will post some pics later today....

My build thread:
Old Nov 28th, 08, 07:30 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Todd

hi. I just received a private message from a team member who is a little distracted by the Belair Bobs banner that I included in two of my posts as a token of my appreciation to Bob. Since I am a caring kind of guy, who never intends to annoy anyone on this site and I enjoy it so much, I tried to delete and resize them, but since they are not editable anymore, so those two banners will have to stay put. From this point forward, I will opt not to include it. I never expected that kind of feedback. My intention was to simply help others pick a reputable supplier whose customer service, prices, and speed are outstanding! Why not share that? Anyway, I will be more universal I guess, in my thread. Enjoy the rest of it.... and away we go!!!!!

My build thread:

Last edited by 6781camaro; Nov 28th, 08 at 09:10 AM.
Old Nov 28th, 08, 10:47 AM

Todd..... give me a yell.

STREET MACHINES OF ROCHESTER

SEMA ACTION NETWORK

UNITED SERVICES ORGANIZATION (USO)
Old Nov 28th, 08, 11:48 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Tim

i hope your out there building the cart right now lol. i came on to post a question on my thread so thats my excuse. im expecting to see some updated pics tonight when i come back on. see ya later

Old Nov 28th, 08, 06:00 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Todd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim1968 View Post
i hope your out there building the cart right now lol. i came on to post a question on my thread so thats my excuse. im expecting to see some updated pics tonight when i come back on. see ya later

That's great! I have fans now... LOL! It is exciting to me as well. I was working outside ALLLLLLL day from 8 am until 8 pm on this. gOOD NEWS AND SOME BAD NEWS....Will post pics of progress right after a quick shower, launching the rust cakes out of my nostrils and a nice hot meal. STARVING! LOTS of NEW pics!!!!!

My build thread:
Old Nov 28th, 08, 06:41 PM
Senior Tech

Todd, Nice to see another first gen getting rescued!
Old Nov 28th, 08, 07:14 PM
Senior Tech

Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6781camaro View Post
Brian,

Thanks. I actually did start stripping it down in Aug. 96, but between busy schedules/jobs/life events, I am really just getting serious this month. At least I haven't sold it right? That is certainly one of the things I am thankful for today...

Truly INCREDIBLE work so far on your build--WOW! It has come a long way to say the least.

TWO QUICK QUESTIONS IF YOU DON'T MIND:

1) I am curious, since I will be there soon, did your one-piece floor pan install through from the front of the car and slide back into place? It looks like your body jig has enough clearance for that specifically-- am I correct? I am going to build a body cart out of 4x4's and 2x4's tomorrow. I also bought Six 5" swivel casters. Any tips I should know beforehand? I would like to be able to slide my new one-piece floor through the front somehow.

2) When I tried to remove the rear leaf spring front eye perches, two of the bolts just spin freely and they are tightened. I am assuming that the welded-in cage nuts have broken loose? They are inbetween the inner floorboard surface and the outer floor surface that is under the car. How do I repair those OR are they included in my new 1-piece floor that I just ordered? If so, I would like to cut access holes into the inner floor to expose the broken nuts so I can remove the leaf springs. The rear axle and springs are now the only things (besides the doors) to remove from the car) ---Thanks!
Yes I slide the floor in from the front. If you check out my site you will see pictures of my jigs. May help give you some ideas.

Thanks,
Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement