Team Camaro Tech banner

'69 Coupe Ground-Up / Rotisserie Resto " Now's the Time! "

991K views 4K replies 171 participants last post by  6781camaro 
#1 · (Edited)
Since joining Camaros.net I have learned many things, seen many incredible resto stories, and met some great people. Love the site!:hurray:

When I first bought my '69 Coupe back in Aug. 1996, I never thought I arrive at this point. I began dismantling it the day I drove it home. It only took me 3 days to get down to the shell, but I loved every minute of it. After that, due to my busy job-schedule, it sat, and sat, and sat...UNTIL THIS YEAR:sad:!!!

Like some other incredibly talented and brave Team members, I would like to document my resto all in one thread as well. Until now, I have only ever posted individual stages or questions along the way--so for those of you who already have seen some of this info/pics--I apologize if I am boring you. Now, I'm starting the single thread docomenting it all. Start to finish! Ask away, enjoy, learn with me, and push me to the end of this long and winding road ahead. I have a great start already thanks to Team Camaro--thank you!:D *SO BE SURE TO SUBSCRIBE TO THIS THREAD SO YOU CAN GET UPDATES AND INFO AS I SHARE IT ALL ON HERE. Without further adieu...

Since my Camaro is originally from Connecticut, it has endured some harsh weather, salt, and worst of all, a vinyl top. However, I do intend to keep it original since it will always ever be stored indoors from now on.

Here are some original photos of when I first got it in Aug. '96. It was running and driving (smoking too!) and was a nice from far, but far from nice --car:

*See my 1992 Z28 350 in the background?

*Here is it after accumulating some parts, and um....many other "things". LOL!!!

*and many of you will remember this one....LOL!

*and finally, here it sits--waiting for my attention... as of this evening 11-26-2008. (it took me all day to dig it out--LOL!)

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Re: '69 Coupe Ground-Up / Rotisserie Resto " Now's the Time! "

After tearing it down to the bone, I asking other members their opinions, I realized that since I want it a certain way when I am done, and it's a keeper, full panel replacement over cutting and patching is the way to go for me. Since it is originally a northern car, I agree. Luckily, it was never hit in an accident over it's entire life though! Bone straight! I started buying some of the sheet metal over the past 9 years--whenever I had the "slush-fund" primed and ready--LOL!. Just recently, I learned, after a horrible experience with a metal supplier on ebay, that buying all your sheetmetal from one person, all at one time, not only saves you money, but countless headaches as well. I just recently met Belair Bob, and wish I met him sooner!:yes: His professionalism, outstanding customer service and willingness to help is second to none! Thanks Bob! :thumbsup: I just placed an order for the last few pieces I need to complete my resto. which will arrive Dec 4th. Can't wait!:D (one-piece floor pan, inner rockers with braces, seat mount floor units, tulip boxes for cowl, etc...

Here is the list of sheet metal panels I bought to replace all the cancerous areas :eek:: get ready.....

1. Full rear quarters
  2. full trunk pan w.braces
  3. spare tire hold down bracket (GM NOS)
  4. inner tail panel
  5. outer tail panel (GM NOS)
  6. trunk drop-offs
  7. trunk weatherstrip gutter kit
  8. gas tank mounting straps
  9. under trunk support braces (GM NOS)
  10. inner wheel wells
  11. outer wheel wells (GM NOS)
  12. inner rear quarter panel walls
  13. rear filler panel
  14. fold-down seat hinge brackets
  15. One-piece floor pan
  16. front toe boards (L+R)
  17. inner rocker panels w/braces
  18. outer rocker panels
  19. Upper dash panel (GM NOS)
  20. radiator core support (GM NOS)
  21. All 4 door hinges (GM NOS)
and if I forgot something... sorry! This list grew bigger and bigger as I ripped this car apart. Surprisingly enough, the doors, fenders, trunk lid, hood, roof, dash assembly, firewall, rear floorpan (under the rear seat) and rear package tray were all untouched by the weather and virtually rust-free. They are all original GM's too!

Over the summer, I taught myself how to weld *with the valuable help and assistance from many Team Camaro members...thanks:beers:
I decided to buy a Lincoln HD3200 for what I need. I set it up with CO2/Argon based on the many recommendations I got here. Glad I did.

I made a custom cart for it out of a utility cart I picked up from Harbor Freight Tools. Luckily I have two locations right near me. (or maybe not lucky!--expensive hobby here!):eek: Anyway, I cut out a whole a little larger than the diameter of the gas tank so I can slide it through and it sits on the bottom shelf--nice and secure. I lined the two holes in the upper two shelves with old heater hoses so it would absorb any vibrations and keep the tank stable/tight. Take a look:

* I ALSO PICKED UP A LENCOSPOT L-4000 220V SPOTWELDER--Just couldn't pass up the deal! (local bodyshop was closing, and it was brand new--3-4 hours of use...)

#3 ·

Hey Todd, i bet we know what you're thankful for today! its good to see you get started and im glad i got in on the ground floor on this one before its 40+ pages like cheby2's lol. that is quite a laundry list of parts you got there but as long as you stay motivated im sure you will be driving that 69 around in no time. now get to work on that body cart! lol let me know if you need any more measurements off of mine and i know you were already planing on it but be sure to put in pleanty of gusset supports in the corner because with the floor and 1/4s off there is not much holding the shape of the car laterally. i would also secure the body itself at a few points to the cart. and keep in mind when i made mine i wasnt doing a floor so be sure to leave yourself pleanty of room under there to get the new floor and and so your comfortable while your grinding away allllllllllll those weldssss lol. be good man and ill talk to you soon im sure. -tim

#4 ·

oh and btw im with you on the belair bob thing, he is the best! i got my metal from him and it got to me from GA to NY without a dent and for a great great price.anyone reading this thread who is starting their own project should definatly give him a call

#5 ·

oh and btw im with you on the belair bob thing, he is the best! i got my metal from him and it got to me from GA to NY without a dent and for a great great price.anyone reading this thread who is starting their own project should definatly give him a call

AMEN to that! I am so pleased that I told Bob that I would include his LOGO in all of my posts for advertisement purposes. (if that is acceptable in the thread?) GREAT GUY!:beers:

#7 · (Edited)

Brian,

Thanks. I actually did start stripping it down in Aug. 96, but between busy schedules/jobs/life events, I am really just getting serious this month. At least I haven't sold it right? :) That is certainly one of the things I am thankful for today...

Truly INCREDIBLE work so far on your build--WOW! It has come a long way to say the least.

TWO QUICK QUESTIONS IF YOU DON'T MIND:

1) I am curious, since I will be there soon, did your one-piece floor pan install through from the front of the car and slide back into place? It looks like your body jig has enough clearance for that specifically-- am I correct? I am going to build a body cart out of 4x4's and 2x4's tomorrow. I also bought Six 5" swivel casters. Any tips I should know beforehand? I would like to be able to slide my new one-piece floor through the front somehow.

2) When I tried to remove the rear leaf spring front eye perches, two of the bolts just spin freely and they are tightened. I am assuming that the welded-in cage nuts have broken loose? They are inbetween the inner floorboard surface and the outer floor surface that is under the car. How do I repair those OR are they included in my new 1-piece floor that I just ordered? If so, I would like to cut access holes into the inner floor to expose the broken nuts so I can remove the leaf springs. The rear axle and springs are now the only things (besides the doors) to remove from the car) ---Thanks!

#15 ·

Brian,

Thanks. I actually did start stripping it down in Aug. 96, but between busy schedules/jobs/life events, I am really just getting serious this month. At least I haven't sold it right? :) That is certainly one of the things I am thankful for today...

Truly INCREDIBLE work so far on your build--WOW! It has come a long way to say the least.

TWO QUICK QUESTIONS IF YOU DON'T MIND:

1) I am curious, since I will be there soon, did your one-piece floor pan install through from the front of the car and slide back into place? It looks like your body jig has enough clearance for that specifically-- am I correct? I am going to build a body cart out of 4x4's and 2x4's tomorrow. I also bought Six 5" swivel casters. Any tips I should know beforehand? I would like to be able to slide my new one-piece floor through the front somehow.

2) When I tried to remove the rear leaf spring front eye perches, two of the bolts just spin freely and they are tightened. I am assuming that the welded-in cage nuts have broken loose? They are inbetween the inner floorboard surface and the outer floor surface that is under the car. How do I repair those OR are they included in my new 1-piece floor that I just ordered? If so, I would like to cut access holes into the inner floor to expose the broken nuts so I can remove the leaf springs. The rear axle and springs are now the only things (besides the doors) to remove from the car) ---Thanks!
Yes I slide the floor in from the front. If you check out my site you will see pictures of my jigs. May help give you some ideas.

Thanks,
Brian

#8 ·

Todd , those nuts on the front spring eye brackets are actually clips with a captured nut , that clip into a slot on the torque boxes , best thing to do is to grind or cut the head off the bolt from the bottom , then you can remove the spring .

Terry

#9 ·

Todd , those nuts on the front spring eye brackets are actually clips with a captured nut , that clip into a slot on the torque boxes , best thing to do is to grind or cut the head off the bolt from the bottom , then you can remove the spring .

Terry
Terry,

It is amazing that someone so young is keeping this hobby alive. Tim has shown some mad skills there! He's helping me to get going too. I'm only 35 myself, but have restored a dozen or so other cars---just not nearly to this extent! :)
You are like "Ol' Faithful" in Yellowstone Nat. Park. Thanks for the tip. I was about to cut a hole in the inner floor to see what was holding it in place. Your idea will let me save my rear under seat floor board sections as I planned, just in case I need them for a future resto. (what am I nuts? Doing this again! ----anytime! Gotta love it:yes:)
Wish me luck, I'm building my cart today. Before that though, I need to clear out the tools, hoist, welder, roto, etc,., so I can get to my car first, then remove the rear axle and springs. whew.... work work work!...
Thanks again! Will post some pics later today....

#10 · (Edited)

hi. I just received a private message from a team member who is a little distracted by the Belair Bobs banner that I included in two of my posts as a token of my appreciation to Bob. Since I am a caring kind of guy, who never intends to annoy anyone on this site and I enjoy it so much, I tried to delete and resize them, but since they are not editable anymore, so those two banners will have to stay put. From this point forward, I will opt not to include it. I never expected that kind of feedback. My intention was to simply help others pick a reputable supplier whose customer service, prices, and speed are outstanding! Why not share that? :confused: Anyway, I will be more universal I guess, in my thread. Enjoy the rest of it.... and away we go!!!!!:thumbsup:

#12 ·

i hope your out there building the cart right now lol. i came on to post a question on my thread so thats my excuse. im expecting to see some updated pics tonight when i come back on. see ya later

#13 ·

i hope your out there building the cart right now lol. i came on to post a question on my thread so thats my excuse. im expecting to see some updated pics tonight when i come back on. see ya later

That's great! I have fans now... LOL! It is exciting to me as well. I was working outside ALLLLLLL day from 8 am until 8 pm on this. gOOD NEWS AND SOME BAD NEWS....Will post pics of progress right after a quick shower, launching the rust cakes out of my nostrils and a nice hot meal. STARVING! LOTS of NEW pics!!!!!:yes::yes::yes::yes:

#18 ·

Todd, Nice to see another first gen getting rescued!
THanks... It's been too long. I finally have the time to get going on it. Feels good...:)

Enjoy the thread...

#16 · (Edited)

Okay...Overall--GREAT time spent on the car )but, discovered more than I expected). I began by removing the rear axle and leaf springs as a unit. Sounds simple-right? NOT... I had to use my 3" cut-off wheel to cut off two easy ones, and grind down the heads of the remaining outer ones, due to the lack of clearance for the tool. I ended up slicing away a section of the spot-welded flange where the floor pan, inner, and outer rocker panels all meet since I am replacing them all anyway. That made the last bolt head accessible to cut off in the end. :D *thanks for the tip Terry!

PHOTOS of this process:

*NOW FOR THE BAD NEWS: Both rear frame rail ends (about 6-7 inches from the rear inner tail panel) are rusted pretty badly) The fronts of both rails are great. May need a patch panel there...

*I ALSO DISCOVERED A HOLE IN THE DRIVER SIDE SHOCK TOWER. LUCKILY I ALREADY HAVE A BRAND NEW PATCH PANEL READY...

*AND THE REAR IS OUT....WHEW! 2 HOURS LATER! :sad:Mono leaf 10-bolt, 3.08 gear, non posi.

*Here's the GOOD NEWS.... After about 2 hours of jacking it up and lowering it back down (working by myself here) I completely leveled the car with a 4-foot level sitting on each rocker panel. It is beautifully straight too. It seems like this car was never hit! Knock on wood!!! And the body cart is 75% complete! :hurray: (pics in two separate posts due to amount)

Please see next post since I can only fit so many pics in a single post....

#25 ·

*AND THE REAR IS OUT....WHEW! 2 HOURS LATER! :sad:Mono leaf 10-bolt, 3.08 gear, non posi

is that a mono leaf? i count 3 unless they are helper springs of some sort and i made myself look foolish

#17 ·

Progress Pics and explanation continued...

I will have to continue on Sunday and finish the cart then... family plans tomorrow....

#20 ·

todd, looking good man. glad to see some progress. i have an idea now hear me out on this one, i say we have a race to see whose car gets done first and the winner gets to keep that gary carter picture you have in the garage lol. see you can take the met fan out of NY but you cant take the NY out of the met fan....that is unless the picture is in the garage now because you are a turncoat and you like the florida fish now.....hmm haha but seriously its looking good, nice sketch just dont forget to pre-drill....freakin home depot wood sucks, atleast up here anyway

#21 ·

todd, looking good man. glad to see some progress. i have an idea now hear me out on this one, i say we have a race to see whose car gets done first and the winner gets to keep that gary carter picture you have in the garage lol. see you can take the met fan out of NY but you cant take the NY out of the met fan....that is unless the picture is in the garage now because you are a turncoat and you like the florida fish now.....hmm haha but seriously its looking good, nice sketch just dont forget to pre-drill....freakin home depot wood sucks, atleast up here anyway

Gary Carter!... LOL! That's too funny that you noticed that. I guess you didn't see the Keith Hernandez photo right behind that one...:waving: I am an overall baseball fan now, and just love the sport. I must admit, I have been to quite a few Rays games lately...:thumbsup:

Back to my Camaro... Do they make repair sections for the rear-most frame rails? I just really need the first 6-7 inches starting from the inner rear tail pan.

What a long day today. It literally took me 1 hour just to empty the darn garage so I can work. I have four loose rear axles now--WITHOUT DOLLIES! I just deadlift each one and walk them out to the garage on blocks. WHEW! Rust was flyin' everywhere, wood drillings piling up, but overall I am thrilled with the progress today! I can't wait to finish the cart and mount the car...should be fun...

*You can have both Mets photos if you pay the shipping... I will send them to you for your garage. I have been trying to clean up around here to make space, and I just can't bring myself to hang those two up...l:)

#22 ·

haha im a details person i guess. i may just have to take you up on that i love carter, i wore my #8 jersey to the final day at shea game and i might wear it to opening day at citi field...or my ventura #4...but anyway back to the car lol. im guessing you might have to just get some steel and bend it up and blend it in as patches, or try and find some good rails from someone that had trunk rot or bite the bullet and get the repros and replace or cut what you need off of them and replace the cancerous spots. if it were me i would replace....but i also dont have to replace nearly as much metal. its a shame you already bought everything, you could have done what i believe Arai (chris) did and get the complete floor and slip the car right over it and call it a day. maybe some classified posting of the old parts is in order and you should call up bob....just a thought, but your probably like me and will go the fun (difficult) way.let me know if you need measurements or anything.

#23 ·

also, why not get a cheapo handtruck for the rearends? thats how i move them and the 8 blocks i have around my shop....you cant afford to hurt yourself and be laid up with a hurt back watching all of us finish our 'maros. that would be torture.

#24 ·

also, why not get a cheapo handtruck for the rearends? thats how i move them and the 8 blocks i have around my shop....you cant afford to hurt yourself and be laid up with a hurt back watching all of us finish our 'maros. that would be torture.
That's a smart suggestion about the handtruck. In fact, I think I should use the one in my own garage.:eek: DOH!! I do have one---oh boy... I guess I had enough adrenaline and energy from the excitement of the build to lift the rears out by hand. I miss going to the gym, so it was a good few sets of 4 reps! LOL!

I will remember your suggestion though and work smarter. You are absolutely right on that one. I couldn't imagine sitting around waiting to heal in order to work on my car....

#26 ·

it seems im posting in here more than you lol, but i just noticed something else. your sketch says 52.5" in width for the cart, where are you going to attach it to on the firewall side? drop downs from the mounting points?

#30 ·

it seems im posting in here more than you lol, but i just noticed something else. your sketch says 52.5" in width for the cart, where are you going to attach it to on the firewall side? drop downs from the mounting points?
Tim,

Yeah, I made a modification there as I was building/measuring...

The overall width of the cart now is 48" and 96" long. I now plan on mounting the front two vertical posts butted up against the sides of the cart and bolted in place with 4-- 8" long bolts. Remember, I need to slide a one-piece floor through mine so I need the width to be a min. of 48" since the floor measures about 47" and change. Originally I was planning on going through the front windshield with the one-piece floor, but I honestly think it will be too close for comfort and I'll end with more cuts and slices in my hand trying to do that. So feeding it through a 48" wide hole from under the car and above the body cart seemed safer and easier overall.

After I bolt the front two vertical posts onto the cart -- that will support a 4x4 cross beam, I will then screw on a mounting block for each of the subframe mounting hole supports in the firewall and support the front end of the car that way. In order to first roll the cart under the car though, I was going to suspend the car over the cart using my engine hoist, then slowly let it down on the cross support after it's built. Meanwhile the rear end of the car will still be supported by the 4x4 and stacks of 4x4's and 2x4's that I now have set up. You can see that in the previous pics posted where I show the car being leveled on the 6 points. As I jack up the rear of the shell to sneak the rear two verticals in place with that cross beam, the front end of the car will be in place but slightly supported by the engine hoist so there will not be too much stress on the cart yet. Then I can let the rear down onto the cart, and then the front end after that. The center support I can add after the shell is sitting on the front and rear cross braces. It should be fine. (right???) I will let you know :( .... :D

Talk to you soon. Thanks for the posts! My total is climbing too.

Have a great day with your car if you plan to work on the tail panel again today. ( I would just slice it off and replace both the inner and outers.) --just seems easier/cleaner and not too expensive now. I picked up the rear inner tail panel for $64 and the rear outer tail panel (GM NOS) for $100 at a swap meet locally.

#28 ·

Todd , , WOW , you've been busy ! Looking good ! Glad the rearend came out ok , I just had one bolt that didn't come out on my car , cut it with the torch ! You do have some rust issues to deal with , but I have faith in you , you'll get it fixed , we have the technology .

I can relate to the time in the garage deal , sometimes you just have a real productive day and get lots done (LOVED the "launched rust cakes out of my nostrils" comment LOL been there done that !) And the "Old Faithful" remark , I too , have several of these under my belt , so you pretty much learn how these things come apart and go back together . Go ahead , ask me anything ................LOL !

Oh , and Tim beat me to it on the mono leaf thing , I was going to make some kind of snide remark ! Alright enough loafing around , BACK TO WORK !

Terry

#31 ·

Todd , , WOW , you've been busy ! Looking good ! Glad the rearend came out ok , I just had one bolt that didn't come out on my car , cut it with the torch ! You do have some rust issues to deal with , but I have faith in you , you'll get it fixed , we have the technology .

I can relate to the time in the garage deal , sometimes you just have a real productive day and get lots done (LOVED the "launched rust cakes out of my nostrils" comment LOL been there done that !) And the "Old Faithful" remark , I too , have several of these under my belt , so you pretty much learn how these things come apart and go back together . Go ahead , ask me anything ................LOL !

Oh , and Tim beat me to it on the mono leaf thing , I was going to make some kind of snide remark ! Alright enough loafing around , BACK TO WORK !

Terry
Terry

Yeah, I was a goofy mood when I added that funny comment. LOL!
Thanks for compliments. It was a busy day! I am going to take Tim's advice and use a handtruck to move the four rear axles I have though next time around. My lower back appreciate that.

As for the rust issues, what do you recommend for the rear portion of the frame rails? Would you cut out the bad and weld in new portions from a complete one? Or just replace the whole thing with new repros? Are the repro frame rails strong? Same gauge steel? If I do replace them, I was thinking of customizing the rear portion of it where the shackle attaches by making them taller. That way the car would sit higher in the rear without having to use different shackles. Just an idea...

The mono rear has mono perches, but the previous owner found some three-leaf multi springs to raise it up I guess? Not sure where those came from. I always thought they only made mono, 4-leaf, 5-leaf, and 6-leaf. Maybe he removed a leaf from a 4-leaf set?

Anyway, good luck with continuing on your '68. It's lookin' sweet!

* I should post some pics of my '68 that I used to have a while ago. It was my first first-gen that I ever owned. It was dover white with a black standard vinyl interior, 6 cylinder, 2-spd powerglide w/o air or any possible options whatsoever. A true plain-janer! But, I loved it!

#33 ·

I just found an oooooooold photo of me building my workbench for my garage when I first moved in this house. You can see my Camaro waiting outside. It was running and driving back then--the last time I ever drove it! Soon enough... right?

*I blacked out me in the photo due to an embarassing hairdo and a stringy physique. I have since been introduced to the gym and weights...LOL! l:) Just thought it was cool to see my Camaro in one piece again...mental motivation...:Db OH... and that's GM NOS cowl hood by the way! The second owner "attempted" a restoration, and loaded this car up with bondo and aluminum flashing to repair the trunk drop-offs and side floor extensions, also decided to replace the original flat hood, trunk lid, header panel, lower valance, cowl panel, and fenders with all GM NOS parts. Odd way of going about things, but I was thrilled to find those NOS part stickers on it all. Wish he knew how to do bodywork though! I guess we can't have it all--right? ;)

#38 · (Edited)

Todd,
What's up with the sasquatch in your garage? You might want to submit that photo to the International Sasquatch Hunters League... That or set a sasquatch trap to catch it... I hear they like cheese... Or cheeseburgers... WHo doesn't like a cheeseburger?

To answer your question, there are partial frame rail repair patches... I have seen them. I think that goodmark sells them or Year One...Or maybe ricks/Ecklers....

Check out this link:
http://www.rickscamaros.com/dept.asp?dept_id=3342&level=2
They should be in the middle row...

BTW I like your thread...keep up the work, or should I say, it's about time you got back to work on that thing!

#34 ·

Any other suggestions about the rear frame rails question? I would like to order the parts now if they are available so I have them when I am ready to repair. Full replacements, or partial repair sections? I only really need the rear-most portion of each side that attaches to the rear inner tail panel. The front portions are great. Strange right??? How can that happen?

#35 ·

Just an ODD occurance... I was just outside sizing up the situation--looking at things to be 1000% of it all... and all of a sudden my neighbor's son comes over to me and asks me we have any toilet paper.:confused: I was taken by complete surprise with that one, and didn't know what to do at first. Well, I had a few things to say in mind, but I did the civil thing for the day and donated a roll.

Wonder what the story is on the other end of this dilemma:D???

Nice!

#36 ·

ah yes i forgot about the floor thing, your definatly going to need it wider than 44 then good call. and the error in the width...who knew lol, i was just perplexed by the widith and where you would mount the front. but like my old shop teacher told me back in 7th grade....2x4s are really 1.5x3.5s lol. just watch one of these days the metric system is going to take over everything. its still an adjustment for me because the majority of the cars i work on (imports and "domestics") are all metric, so i had to dust off my SAE tools to get back to work on the camaro. good luck on the frame rails, hopefully you find the easiest/cheapest fix.....3 pages you are moving right along lol

#37 ·

ah yes i forgot about the floor thing, your definatly going to need it wider than 44 then good call. and the error in the width...who knew lol, i was just perplexed by the widith and where you would mount the front. but like my old shop teacher told me back in 7th grade....2x4s are really 1.5x3.5s lol. just watch one of these days the metric system is going to take over everything. its still an adjustment for me because the majority of the cars i work on (imports and "domestics") are all metric, so i had to dust off my SAE tools to get back to work on the camaro. good luck on the frame rails, hopefully you find the easiest/cheapest fix.....3 pages you are moving right along lol

AND 4x4's are 3.5 inches. That was the goof up in the width precisely.

Gotta go. wedding is a happenin' soon. Have fun on the resto. I will continue tomorrow early in the morning.

#39 ·

Dang , got beat to the punch , again ! I was going to post some snide remark about the creature in your garage , but Steve beat me to it ! Must be getting old , now I'm -2 on the snide remark-o-meter !

Guys , that is a great idea on the wooden body cart , when you get through with it , you can morph it into a rolling shop table or something .:thumbsup: On the frame rails , if you are going to replace the trunk floor , I would look into just replacing the entire rail , but if you aren't . just replacing the rear section might be more attractive . There are so many build threads on here now , I can't remember what all you are replacing !LOL !

Keep up the good fight
Terry

#41 ·

Dang , got beat to the punch , again ! I was going to post some snide remark about the creature in your garage , but Steve beat me to it ! Must be getting old , now I'm -2 on the snide remark-o-meter !

Guys , that is a great idea on the wooden body cart , when you get through with it , you can morph it into a rolling shop table or something .:thumbsup: On the frame rails , if you are going to replace the trunk floor , I would look into just replacing the entire rail , but if you aren't . just replacing the rear section might be more attractive . There are so many build threads on here now , I can't remember what all you are replacing !LOL !

Keep up the good fight
Terry
Terry

Thanks for the kudos on the cart. I could have welded one up, but I thought since storage is an issue for me, a wooden cart could easily be dismantled or "morphed" into something else for the future. I ended up changing my plans on it and making it wider so I can pass the 1-pc floor through the front opening in-between the car and the main lower frame of the cart. More pics to post later today! Stay tuned....

#42 ·

OH,, and unless someone on here has a SUPER CLEAN pair of used frame rails, I think new one are the right choice for me.

Here's the laundry list again, just as a reminder as to how big/deep this build is:

1. Full rear quarters
  2. full trunk pan w.braces
  3. spare tire hold down bracket (GM NOS)
  4. inner tail panel
  5. outer tail panel (GM NOS)
  6. trunk drop-offs
  7. trunk weatherstrip gutter kit
  8. gas tank mounting straps
  9. under trunk support braces (GM NOS)
  10. inner wheel wells
  11. outer wheel wells (GM NOS)
  12. inner rear quarter panel walls
  13. rear filler panel
  14. fold-down seat hinge brackets
  15. One-piece floor pan
  16. front toe boards (L+R)
  17. inner rocker panels w/braces
  18. outer rocker panels
  19. Upper dash panel (GM NOS)
  20. radiator core support (GM NOS)
  21. Cowl tulip complete boxes L+R
  22. All 4 door hinges (GM NOS)
  23. AND NOW....both rear frame rails!!!!:eek::eek::eek::yes::yes::yes: (my split feelings)

#43 ·

By the way....I have put the floor pan in my camaro both ways, thru the windshield, and from underneath. It is much easier to slide in from underneath. Your project looks like a lot of fun. Good luck with it.

#44 ·

By the way....I have put the floor pan in my camaro both ways, thru the windshield, and from underneath. It is much easier to slide in from underneath. Your project looks like a lot of fun. Good luck with it.
John

Hi, glad you are enjoying the thread so far. I have long journey ahead of me but am bound and determined to complete it the right way...

As I am finding new damages from rust, I am deciding to replace the whole panel instead of patching it up. *Thanks for the tips on installing the 1-piece floor board. I did measure the clearance inside the car, but you know how that goes. Without the piece in your hand, there always remains some doubt as to if it will work or not--especially with all of the contours the floor has. Good to know though! I already planned on sliding in the floor from the rear of the car actually. Since the front supports should be under the subframe bolt holes, and they measure approx 40 inches apart, there's no way a full floor can pass through that since it measures 47" wide. So what I am now planning is either passing it through the windshield or just building the mid and rear-most support stantions at a width of 48" apart from each other and having them simply bolt to the outside of the body cart frame. I have 6" x 3/8" lag bolts that will hold those onto the cart frame. That way it will allow me to pass the full floor through that opening at the rear end of the body cart. * You know what they say...."There's more than one way to skin a cat" LOL! --Terry and Tim should get a kick out of that one.l:)